Results tagged ‘ Statistics ’
There are just about two weeks left in the VOTE Brewers campaign. While the last day to vote at Miller Park is Friday, you still have until July 4 to vote online.
The most recent voting returns announced on Sunday had four Brewers among the leaders. Ryan Braun, Jean Segura, Carlos Gomez and Jonathan Lucroy are all within striking distance and all in need of Brewers fans help.
Baseball is a game of numbers, so lets talk numbers why these guys should be All-Stars. All four players have some pretty incredible numbers.
– Gomez (12 hr/13 sb) and Segura (10 hr/20sb) are two of seven players in MLB that have double figures in both home runs and stolen bases this season.
– Gomez also is one of six players in MLB that have double figures in home runs, stolen bases and doubles (17).
– Gomez and Segura are on pace to possibly record 20 doubles, 20 triples, 20 home runs and 20 stolen bases in the same season. This is something that has only been accomplished seven times in MLB history! Willie Mays in 1957, Jim Bottomley in 1928, Jimmy Rollins in 2007, Jeff Heath in 1941, George Brett in 1979, Curtis Granderson in 2007 and good ole’ Wildfire Schulte in 1911 all have accomplished that feat. This will be exciting to watch in the second half of 2013.
– Segura is the only player in MLB to have 10 hr and 20 stolen bases this season.
– Lucroy has been on a tear over the last few weeks, as he is tied for third in MLB in RBI since 5/31 with 17 and hitting .389 over those previous 15 games with 3 hr. Since the beginning of 2012, only Posey (.919) and Yadier Molina (.885) have a higher OPS than Lucroy (.822) among N.L. catchers.
– While Braun is on the Disabled List, he too has been one of the best hitters in baseball, posting the highest OPS among all MLB outfielders at .963 since the beginning of last season.
– WAR. What is it good for, you ask? It is a pretty popular stat these days that stands for “Wins Above Replacement.” It is used to measure the overall value of a player’s contribution to their team. FanGraphs’ WAR has Gomez leading the National League and second in MLB and Segura ranked ninth in the N.L.
Braun trails the third and final outfield spot by just over 300,000 votes. Gomez is 11th among N.L. outfielders, just over 900,000 votes shy of jumping into the top three. Segura is just over 1.2 million votes behind Troy Tulowitzki and Lucroy is nearly 2 million votes shy of Buster Posey at catcher. Now you might think I’m nuts because of those numbers and the amount of time.
But hang with me and take a look at some simple math here. This blog post will be sent via social media to Brewers Facebook fans and Twitter followers which we can estimate is just over 750,000 possible people. Now, for argument sake, say our Twitter followers also are Facebook fans, so let’s bring that estimate to 500,000 Brewers social media gurus who follow the team. If each of you votes the maximum of 35 times on Brewers.com, that will total 17.5 million votes. Certainly enough to get those four voted in (and the rest of the Brewers!).
Don’t forget to campaign for your favorite Brewers players on social media:
The 2013 MLB All-Star Game will take place at CitiField in New York on Tuesday, July 16. Tune in to the game on FOX.
Brewers fans, show why we are among the best and proudest fans in baseball. Let’s pass the word around and finish strong in the 2013 MLB All-Star voting campaign! Vote Brewers!