Results tagged ‘ Open Arms Home for Children ’
This morning, Sen. Ron Johnson announced that Jonathan Lucroy will be his guest when the president offers his State of the Union address to Congress on Tuesday, Jan. 20.
The senator remarked: “Mr. Lucroy, the All-Star catcher for the Milwaukee Brewers, has become a hero to Wisconsin sports fans with his excellent performance on the field. But to me, he is an even bigger hero off the field: He is using his baseball fame to highlight some great Wisconsin charities.”
- He supports initiatives to support the finest among us, the Americans who have served in the armed forces, by supporting Fisher House Wisconsin, planned as a “home away from home” for the families of veterans receiving care at the Zablocki VA Medical Center in Milwaukee.
- He invites wounded heroes to Brewers games and meets with them, and he visits veterans hospitals in Wisconsin, in St. Louis, in Washington and on road trips.
- He regularly visits patients at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin.
- He traveled with veterans in November on an Honor Flight to visit the World War II and Korean War memorials in Washington.
- He has provided $5,000 scholarships to military families.
- Donated $10,000 to Open Arms Home for Children in South Africa.
- He has served as a spokesman for the Muscular Dystrophy Association’s Muscle Walk and the Brewers Community Foundation Drive for Charity. He has recorded public service announcements for the Brewers Community Foundation’s 5K Famous Racing Sausages Run Walk on behalf of the Fisher House.
- He works with the Make-A-Wish Foundation and with the Miracle League of Milwaukee, which provides opportunities for all children to play organized baseball, regardless of ability.
Jonathan said, “I am honored that Senator Johnson has asked me to be his guest at the State of the Union. We both share a passion for veterans and serving those who serve us, and I am looking forward to the privilege of being in our nation’s Capital for this once-in-a-lifetime experience.”
Sen. Johnson said, “The president inspired millions when he spoke of Americans of differing opinions coming together for the common good. Nearly two centuries ago, Alexis de Tocqueville was astonished at the way Americans came together voluntarily to solve problems left to the state or aristocrats in other countries. Mr. Lucroy’s charitable service illustrates these ideals by shining a light on the good work Wisconsinites are doing for their communities. It is an honor to in turn honor Mr. Lucroy.”
On Monday, June 30, Brewers Director of Alumni Relations and FOX Sports Wisconsin broadcaster Dave Nelson will host his 6th Annual Celebrity Golf Tournament at Whistling Straights Golf Course in Kohler, Wisconsin. The 18-Hole Davey Nelson Celebrity Golf Tournament will begin at 10:30 a.m. and will be followed by a cocktail reception, silent and live auctions and dinner.
All teams for the tournament will be comprised of a five-person group, and play will consist of a Scramble Format with team prizes awarded to the top finishers. Registrations are being accepted as a foursome and a celebrity golfer will be paired with each group to make up the five-person team. Registration fees are $2,700 per foursome. A golf clinic led by American Club golf pros and a putting contest will take place at 9:00 a.m., and a buffet brunch will be served prior to the start of the tournament. The tournament is limited to 30 foursomes. For those who do not plan to golf, tickets to the reception/dinner only are available for $150 per person.
An additional preview event is scheduled for Sunday, June 29, consisting of a golf experience at Whistling Straits Straights Course followed by a cocktail reception and dinner at the Championship Locker room. Rates for the preview event are $6,300 per foursome and includes Monday’s event.
Proceeds will benefit Open Arms Home for Children in South Africa and Brewers Community Foundation. For additional information, sponsorship opportunities or to sign up for this memorable golfing experience visit Brewers.com/davey or contact Meredith Malone at firstname.lastname@example.org or (414) 902-4501. Also check out our Facebook page, Davey Nelson Celebrity Golf Tournament to Benefit Open Arms.
This event is always a fantastic time and I’ve been fortunate enough to participate in it the past few years. Check out the 2013 event recap for a taste of the fun you’ll have when you sign up!
Open Arms Home for Children is a non-profit organization that provides shelter, clothing, protection and basic healthcare for what is now home to many children orphaned due to the Aids epidemic in South Africa. Dave Nelson has served as Board Director for over four years. Brewers Community Foundation is the charitable arm of the Milwaukee Brewers Baseball Club and supports non-profits that provide quality programming in the areas of health, education, recreation and basic needs with a particular focus on low-income and disadvantaged youth and their families in greater Milwaukee and Wisconsin.