2013 GIBBYs Nominees Announced; Time to VOTE BREWERS!
The nominees for the 2013 Greatness in Baseball Yearly Awards (GIBBYs) have been announced. Players from both Leagues are featured as nominees in 22 categories recognizing the best in baseball from the regular season through the Postseason; we’ve got nominees in four of these categories, so here’s where you come in!
Voters for the GIBBY Awards fall into five groups, each of which determines 20% of the overall Vote:
1. Fans at MLB.com <—–That’s YOU!
3. Front-Office Personnel
4. MLB Alumni
5. The Society for American Baseball Research (SABR)
Millions of fan votes have been cast over the past five years, and this year’s winners will be recognized during an MLB.com extravaganza during the Baseball Winter Meetings.
Voting ends December 1, 2013. So, over the next couple of weeks, make sure you VOTE BREWERS in the following categories!
- VOTE Gomez for Defensive Player .988 FLD PCT, 391 putouts, 12 assists. Gomez displayed a great glove in center field all season, pacing big league outfielders (min: 110 games started) with a 2.78 Range Factor while ranking among the leaders in assists.
- VOTE Segura for Hitting Performance 6-for-7, 2 R, RBI, May 28 vs. MIN. Jean Segura went 5-for-5 in regulation against the Twins — including a tying RBI single in the bottom of the ninth inning — before tacking on another base knock in the 14th to match a franchise mark that had not been touched in 20 years.
- VOTE Schafer for Walk-Off Sept. 17 vs. CHC. In one of the most unique ways to earn a walk-off win, Logan Schafer stepped up to the plate as a pinch-hitter and laid down a game-ending suicide squeeze that sent the Brewers onto the field in celebratory fashion
- VOTE Betancourt for Cut 4 Topic Little is nondescript about Brandon Phillips who, after a sacrifice bunt, initially opted to walk away from first base in lieu of being retired by Yuniesky Betancourt. But when neither man moved, Phillips turned around and jogged back to Betancourt, slapping his glove hand for a hilarious “high-five” putout.
Thanks for your support and GO BREWERS!
-John and Cait