Opening Day and Homestand #1 Notes
That big day is almost here Brewers fans. The excitement around the city has built all winter long and, although there is still snow on the ground, Brewers baseball is back. There is a lot of activity swirling around Miller Park for Opening Day, but I wanted to highlight some important information for fans about Monday’s game.
Tickets: Monday’s game is sold out. There are, however, tickets available for the remaining five games of the first homestand for the 2013 season and $10 tickets are available for exhibition games tonight and tomorrow at 1 p.m. vs. the Chicago White Sox.
Parking Lots: The Miller Park parking lots will open at 10 a.m. on Opening Day. Parking lots will open three hours before every game this season.
New Gate Times for 2013: Please make note of new gate times for the 2013 season at Miller Park. The gates to Miller Park will open at 11 a.m. Gates will open 90 minutes before first pitch for all games this season except for Opening Day and all Saturday games in June, July and August. For those games, gates will open two hours before first pitch. This is good news because fans coming extra early will be able to catch more of Brewers batting practice.
Monday’s Ceremonial First Pitch: James Beckum, founder of the Beckum-Stapleton Little League and former Negro Leagues player, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch. Beckum started the Beckum-Stapleton Little League on Milwaukee’s near north side in 1964 and has been a fixture in the community and in the league ever since. Beckum will be joined on the field for the first pitch by two players from the Beckum-Stapleton Little League and the RBI Program in Milwaukee. Titus Brown, 12, and Paniya Stewart, 11, both from Milwaukee, will join Stapleton on the field for the first pitch.
National Anthem: This should come as no surprise! Joseph Attanasio, father of Brewers Chairman and Principal Owner Mark Attanasio, will sing the national anthem before Monday’s Opening Day. This has become a Milwaukee Opening Day tradition since Mark Attanasio took over the team in 2005.
Social Media: Use the hashtag #BrewersOpener when Tweeting and Instagramming Opening Day.
Caterpillar Global Mining Brewers Magnetic Schedule Day: What Brewers fans refrigerator doesn’t have a Brewers schedule magnet!? These are always a hot giveaway and all fans in attendance will receive a Brewers 2013 magnetic schedule, compliments of Caterpillar Global Mining. All fans will also receive a Brewers rally towel.
The 11th Annual Klement’s Opening Day First Brat Relay Race: Prior to first pitch on Opening Day, the Famous Racing Sausages will take part in the 11th Annual Klement’s Opening Day First Brat Relay Race, beginning at 10 a.m. at the Klement’s plant on Chase Ave. The Klement’s Famous Racing Sausages™ will deliver the “First Brat” all the way to Miller Park (weather permitting).
I-94 Construction: It seems like every year there is always a new construction project on the freeways around town. When I came back from Spring Training and saw some work on I-94 WB just east of Miller Park, I quickly found an alternate route and planned ahead. Take a few minutes to make sure you are aware of any construction projects or lane closures. Fans are encouraged to stay up to date on traffic information by visiting the Wisconsin Department of Transportation website at www.511wi.gov for up to the minute lane closures, alternate routes and other traffic information. For more information tailored specifically to arriving and departing Miller Park, visit the Miller Park tab at Brewers.com.
Parking Information/Shuttle: The Brewers are urging fans to plan when considering parking options for all games at Miller Park, but in particular for Opening Day. Fans may buy parking passes in advance for all home dates at Miller Park through the Miller Park Box Office, Brewers.com or by phone at (414) 902-4000. Please note, a limited number of parking passes are available for Opening Day.
Consistent with recent years, the Brewers have arranged for overflow parking at Wisconsin State Fair Park for Opening Day. In the likely event that Miller Park lots reach capacity, fans may take the 84th street exit from I-94 and enter through gate #7. From there, they will see signage and staff directing them to the parking area. A $15 fee will cover vehicle parking and shuttle services are free. Buses, provided by Riteway Bus, will be staged near the U.S. Cellular® Gate at State Fair Park and will offer service to and from Miller Park before and after the game. Shuttle services are scheduled to begin at 10:30 a.m. and will run until about 1.5 hours after the game. Buses will pick up in the drop-off location which will be located on VA grounds. Fans should follow the path marked “Stadium” which will lead them to the Right Field Gate.
So you can’t make Opening Day? Don’t worry. The Brewers first homestand of 2013 features five more games and a number of special events and opportunities to put a ceremonial end to a long Milwaukee winter. Tickets are available at Brewers.com, the Miller Park ticket office or by calling (414) 902-4000.
Tuesday, April 2 vs. Colorado Rockies 7:10 p.m.
· Singles Night, hosted by It’s Just Lunch®: For just $48, fans will receive a Dew Deck Ticket for the Brewers vs. Rockies game, which includes a pre-game buffet and two drinks per person, plus the opportunity to mix and mingle with area singles. For details, visit brewers.com/specialevents.
Wednesday, April 3 vs. Colorado Rockies, 7:10 p.m.
Friday, April 5 vs. Arizona Diamondbacks, 7:10 p.m
· Time Warner Cable Student Night: College and high school students can buy $9 Terrace Reserved and $11.50 Loge Bleacher tickets (Excluding Miller Lite Beerpen) courtesy of Time Warner Cable. The first 250 students to buy tickets in the Time Warner Cable Student Nights Section (Section 233) will receive a free t-shirt. For more information, visit brewers.com/students.
· $15 Fair Fridays: The State Fair is one of my favorite summer events. For $15, fans can buy a Fair Friday package that includes one Terrace Reserved ticket and one general admission ticket to the Wisconsin State Fair presented by U.S Cellular. It’s a great deal and everyone wins. For more information, visit brewers.com/statefair.
· Miller Lite Beerpen: All fans 21 and older can be a part of the Miller Lite Beerpen in the Right Field Loge Bleachers. Tickets are $23 and include a Brewers t-shirt and special entertainment in the Miller Lite Beerpen. For more information, visit brewers.com/beerpen.
Saturday, April 6 vs. Arizona Diamondbacks, 6:10 p.m.
· Potawatomi Bingo Casino Brewers Pen Schedule: This is probably one of my favorite promotional items of the year. It is extremely useful. All fans will receive a 2013 Brewers Pen Schedule presented by Potawatomi Bingo Casino.
Sunday, April 7 vs. Arizona Diamondbacks, 1:10 p.m.
· Norichika Aoki Bobblehead presented by Robert Haack Diamonds: The first of many bobblehead days for the 2013 season. All fans will receive a Bobblehead featuring Brewers outfielder Norichika Aoki, presented by Robert Haack Diamonds.
· Blue Bunny Ice Cream Sunday: The first 2,000 fans 12 and under will receive a voucher redeemable for a free Blue Bunny Ice Cream treat upon entering Miller Park. The vouchers are redeemable from the time gates open through the end of the first inning of the game.